Friday, January 22, 2010

how good is fabregas? (rhetorical)

what's that jussi?


Bolton weren't even all that bad in the doubleheader. And the Arsenal of the last two years wouldn't necessarily have grinded those two games out. But my oh my what a dynamic player young cesc has turned into. He's always been great on the ball, but especially lately he's been doing more "running" at people and even letting fly with his left foot from 25+, I can never remember him being more of an offensive threat. I say "running" because if you've watched fabregas at all, you'll have realized that everything he does seems to be with less-than-maximum effort, he's doing more jogging than anything.


But anyway, if we were to try and measure a footballers value, we'd have to acknowledge the ingrained subjectivity and even arbitrariness. I hate it when people come up with these lists of top 5 players in the world, because that is basically meaningless. But being the hypocrite that I am, last year, about this time, I ventured to say amongst my Partisan club-mates that no man means more to his club in the premiership than fabregas. I was met with a bunch of typical british responses subsequent to their clubs of RONALDO! and LAMPARD!, but none more adamant than the one inevitable liverpool supporter who started preaching the steven gerrard story to me like I'd never heard it before. Fair cases can be made for all these guys, and maybe even Danny Murphy, but I wonder if any of them would be in my camp after Fabregas' last month.

What is so crazy about Cesc is that he probably won't even be in Spain's starting XI in SA this summer. And he can't even really have any complaints. I'm all for country over club, but it is a bit odd that the best club player in the world won't even be in his country's XI? I think so, and I dare you to find me someone who is playing better than the Arsenal #4 right now. I still am unconvinced that Arsenal have the longevity to out-muscle Chelsea and United, but fuck it, Cesc has been superman this year, and if we keep winning games with Eduardos and Denilsons on the field, then why not?

3 comments:

Rob Gordon said...

i hate your love for cesc. arsenal need a palacios in their team for them to be successful. wenger would never allow him on the pitch with some of his atrocious passing, but his defensive intensity would compliment cesc well. they havent had a true hardman since viera left. how does it feel to see him in city blue?

Sam said...

somebody's been turning a blind eye to alex song this year.

Rob Gordon said...

i wasn't convinced on song, and still am not. i thought he actually played pretty well against united though. one of the few....