Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Group D Closeup

I thought it would be a good idea to look a little bit closer at Group D, seeing as that's the group we'll play in the knockout round in the case that we progress. This is the real group of death if you ask me, and we all know what the Germans are capable of, so I dont really want to talk about them. I'll say that the absence of Ballack might actually help them, although he is a good player, that's just not the kind of character I want strapping on my captain's armband. Sorry.

So let's start with the Ghanaians. I was really impressed with them in the cup of nations, and just recently in their friendly with the Dutch. Don't be fooled by that scoreline, nobody would stay with the Dutch right now. (let's just hope for their sake they aren't peaking too early like in Euro 2008). Ghana have a handy uncharacteristic ability that most African teams lack, they keep their shape, and are comfortable defending, something that goes a long way in tournaments. It has to be mentioned that they will be playing without their talisman Michael Essien, who is one of the best players in the world in his own right.

I actually like them to progress, home field advantage of sorts can't really hurt them.

Now, on to the Serbs, impeccable qualifying and shit show under the limelight last WC. I'm actually expecting a similar unfortunate showing. I don't care what the pundits say, this is the real group of death for me. And Serbia just lack that certain spunk, or whatever you want to call it to come out of this group for me. I know thats shit for analysis, but Marco Pantelic isn't getting the job done for me at the end of the day. Maybe if they get the Serbian Peter Crouch Zigic involved then they could get some results, but despite them being the chalk here to advance, I don't see it happening for them. I'd actually like to play them from an American perspective.

And finally the Aussies. Heartbreak last world cup, they were jobbed out of the tournament against the Italians in what was probably the most forgotten game of the tournament, overshadowed by Zidane's headbutt. The Italians really could/should have been out. But this time around, they'd be lucky to find themselves in the same position, and although I'm glad they're not in our group, I dont see them getting out of Group D either.

No comments: