Sunday, June 8, 2008

day 2: probably a group B snoozer

I've got to mention the French Open as it is my favorite major ever since I can remember, although I'm not really sure why. Maybe its that bright red clay and all the sliding, but I digress. As accomplished as Federer is (the best player of all-time, in my opinion) it is just that much more absurd how Nadal continues to dismantle him like this in Paris. He's on the verge of winning a grand slam without losing a set. wow.

Anyway, back to the meat and potatoes of this blog. No surprises yesterday really. I was a bit disappointed with the Czechs and their failure to create basically anything, save that one chance that their substitute luckily finished. But Petr Cech looks to be in top form so that's good news for them. As for the other game, it was a comfy result in the end for Portugal, but there were times when Turkey looked dangerous. If the Turks get their three points against the reeling Swiss team, which I now think they should in light of Alexander Frei's tearful injury, it would set up quite the showdown on the last day with the Czechs.

These group B games are the least likely to impress. These might be the best days to get out of the house and hit the links with some buds, or play tennis with Albu. But since its like 95 degrees here, I guess I'll see if this Austrian team is a complete joke or not. Croatia to win 4-1.

A lot of people are tipping Poland as the surprise of this tournament. Its plausible enough, because I don't think Croatia are that strong. But it might be hard for them to recover from a good old German beatdown if they suffer one today. 3-0 to the Germans.

Don't forget to watch US Argentina toning ht, if you wanna make it 3 beatdowns in one day, at 7:30 et.

1 comment:

ted hawes said...

Nope, basketball at Sorgi's.

Go Joba.