Saturday, June 14, 2008

day 8, beauty and the beast

Spain will look to take control of the group against the Swedes on the last day of 2 separate match times. I guess they will have the matches coincide on the last day so that there is less of a probability that games will be meaningless, although Portugal Switzerland is academic already, as Spain versus Greece is likely to be after today if Russia plays like they are capable of. For Sweden, there are some concerns over Zlatan's fitness, needless to say, they don't have much of a chance without him. I'll look for Spain to match the Dutch effort, and we might have all 4 group winners decided after 2 games. Spain 3-0.

I'm completely off the Greek bandwagon. They don't have any kind of attacking threat besides Charisteas, there best chance of a goal might be off a Karagounis free kick. Samaras is washed up, and they are unlikely to throw caution to the wind with their team selection. Even if Russia can only manage a draw, its likely to set up another game 3 showdown between them and the Swedes for the last spot. Russia 1-0.

I'm attending my first ever MLS game tonight in DC. I don't even know who they are playing...

2 comments:

Sam said...

Sorry Greece, you've won your trophy for this millenium. It would be one thing if you deserved the equalizer, but I think Russia were the better team, so I'm ok with the offside negated goal.

Spain stole it from the Swedes, so it'll be down to Russia and Sweden. I know I've said it a thousand times, but I think it's all about Zlatan. I hope he is not injured, and Russia might have enough to get through Sweden even without him. But I think if he's fit, Sweden will have the confidence and belief to beat the Russians.

Great atmosphere at the DC United game tonight, la barra brava was in full force despite the rain. A depleted United really kicked the shit out of a lackluster NY side. I was looking foward to seeing Marcelo Gallardo after seeing him play in all those clasicos for my second favorite club on the planet RIIIVER, but I guess he was injured so it wasnt to be. But Luci Emilio got a hat trick so I've got no complaints

Will said...

Gallardo had to serve a one game suspension for his red last week. Watch out for DC making a late season run.

Also, watch out for the Russians...