Thursday, June 12, 2008

Turks Send Swiss packing

well at least they wont have far to go. But what a hard fought game. It had it all. Blood, torn jerseys, lakes on the field, and I don't think you'll ever see a ball begging to be booted across the line as the one Yakin almost yanked goofed, it was surreal how the ball stopped for him. None the less, I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the Swiss after the effort they put in only to see a deflection beat their keeper in stoppage time. Neither side deserved to lose, but to be fair, the Turks were at least the classier if not the better side. It may be a bit early, and they might not have earned it yet, but I think I'll go ahead and call them cinderella, maybe even this tournament's Greece if you will. They still have to face a still dangerous Czech team who are not firing on all cylinders. If they are going to have such an impotent attack midfield again (save Sionko, who's been brilliant), I'll put my money on Evrim & company in a heartbeat.

Portugal was impressive again, but they do look vulnerable at the heart of their defense, and for their overall lack of height. I was surprised that Koller did not start, even though he is not playing well, I think he could have given Carvalho and Pepe some trouble. And what about Bosingwa's unibrow, that thing is absurd, it puts Frau Farbissina's LPGA friend to shame.

1 comment:

Will said...

sionko will probably get picked up by a pretty big club after this tourney