Friday, August 8, 2008

games of the whatever olympiad

I remember watching those opening cermonies as a kid with great interest. But its all just a big spectacle, I guess the only interesting thing is seeing these countries you never knew existed before.

To take it off soccer for a second, there has to be a lot of interest in the basketball competition, especially for Americans. I haven't really looked at the groups, but I'm assuming its a standard format, just like Eurocup was. Even if we slip up and lose a game, I'm assuming we make it to the quarters without any problems. Sure we will be the favorites to win, but you know Argentina, Greece, Spain, or whoever will have something to say. The Czech coverage of the Olympics is pretty thorough, its basically going to be on two channels 24/7, showing all those games you wish you could see, but never get a chance to.

I just wonder whether or not that crazy rule where you can hit the ball of the rim might end up hurting us. If Dwight Howard can remember that he's allowed to take every thing off of the rim, just think about how many shots aren't going in. Yeah, its a lot to ask, and our guys probably won't be able to relearn their entire basketball muscle memories and mentality, but suppose they just remember on occasion. Lebron, or even Melo could be snatching everything off of the rim that doesnt go straight down. If we're in a tight game, and I'm sure we will be, just make a note to yourself every time you see a chance for a player to do it, I'll be watching too.

And by the way, the first National CD, Alligator, is better than the second, Boxer.

I think I'm gonna go to my first Czech first division match this Sunday, we'll see how it goes. And happy trails "sidewinder" Chad Bradford, who knew we were paying you that much. But I hate to see one of my dad's favorite Orioles go.

No comments: