Friday, August 15, 2008

nobody likes a whiner

Is it just me or is there a lot of whining going on at these Olympics? I won't even get into the whole gymnast thing. But I would think that it shouldn't be any easier for twelve year olds to beat sixteen year olds in much of anything. So they are less developed...fine. All I know is that I would be pissed if a twelve year old beat me when I was sixteen in a spelling bee, but I guess that happens too.

But the real whiner today is James Blake. First of all I really like Blake, much more than Roddick, (for whatever that's worth). And it was a hell of a match he lost today to the Chilean dark horse that's become a prominent figure on the ATP in Fernando Gonzales. Blake had three match points as he got up 0-40 in a Gonzo serving game, and couldn't convert. He then heroically saved three match points, down 40-0, but couldn't pull out the duece game, and served out the third set to win 11-9 I think.

Anyway, the first point in the game, at 8-7, right after Blake failed to convert on those match points ther was a somewhat dubois incident. Blake hit a passing shot that clearly knicked off Gonzo, but it was missed. Blake then said after the game how Gonzo should have called it on himself. Really? Do you really expect a Chilean tennis player to do such a thing? I think 80% of the tour does the same thing and pleads ignorance til the day they die.

Too bad though, because it was otherwise a great match. I can only assume Nadal Djokovic was just as good, but I missed that one. They were too busy showing the replay of the Czech women destroy new zeland in basketball. I really wanted to get in there and help out the Kiwis, they were hapless. But besides women's basketball, I don't think theres any other sport that I could compete with these girls in. The lightest weight lifter...? maybe?

No comments: