Sunday, August 10, 2008

muje nedele (stop shooting kobe)

My sunday started early as I had to skate across town to catch my first Czech soccer match which featured Viktoria Zizkov and FK Teplice. I guess I need to see Sparta or Slavia play before I jump to any conclusions, but let's just say that the MLS has nothing to worry about. Zizkov scored as I was waiting at the gate with about 100 other people because the man working the tickets was about 97 years old and he had to rip them all off one by one. Then the first half was uneventful until about the 30th minute where I witnessed a goal for the own-goal hall of fame. Teplice's left back was under pressure but around midfield and he was forced to retreat towards his own goal, he kicked what looked like a pretty harmless ball back towards his keeper who found the only way possible to misjudge it, (although it did take a huge/trampoline like bounce) and the ball ended up in the net. I was sitting next to a couple Teplice fans who just shook their heads. Their expression didn't change much all day, because they were just awful. I don't know if they managed a shot on goal until like the 75th minute. Zizkov won 3-0.

After a little jazz in Old Town, I was back home just in time to see the Dutch snake that late equalizer and put our hopes of advancing to the knockout round in serious jeopardy. What a stupid foul that was by whoever, but we probably would take the position we were in if you asked us before the tournament.

And then I saw some of the US vs China. I thought it was pretty comfortable in the end, after we settled down, but there is a lot of room for improvement. For once, I think we are taking way too many jumpshots. Nobody but Michael Redd should be allowed to shoot a contested 3. Kobe more than anyone looked out of sync. LeBron however was outstanding. They kind of switched roles. Usually I'm yelling at LBJ for taking too many jumpers, but he attacked the glass. Wade was great too.

Sure China might not be the best barometer, but let's be honest. Is anyone going to be able to handle us in the paint. We should clear it out for LeBron or Wade every time. Dish to Howard, let teams foul him. They'll be fouled out by halftime. The only way I think we can lose is if some team has a mean zone and we fall in love w/ the three, or we just shoot terribly.

1 comment:

ted hawes said...

Still holding out on those rays not being a good team this year?

I'll take a blog mention addressing my legitimacy of my baseball knowledge, regardless of what side of the plate bj upton bats from.

Now shipping internationally!
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3238291&cp=&fbn=Taxonomy|New+York+Jets&f=Taxonomy%2FNFL%2F716649&fbc=1&kw=brett+favre&parentPage=search